Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Why Me?

Today started out as a great day. I got a haircut, met my mother for breakfast, ran into my cousin and his girlfriend at breakfast (they are in from Texas for the weekend), got my brows waxed, nails manicured, mailed a package - no waiting in the PO - and drove to see my dear friend Carla who just moved back from a year in NY. I had a wonderful visit with Carla and her husband Jody (yup - same name as me), their 1 1/2 yr old son Parker, and Carla's dad, his wife and her parents. It was so relaxing, and such a great morning...I should have known that it was the calm before the storm. I made my goodbyes and got into my car. I was just pulling away from the house, pushed the button to put my window down and BOOM!!!! my window (driver's side) EXPLODED!!! Thank goodness I wasn't doing more than 5 mph. I let out a scream and stopped the car. There was shattered glass EVERYWHERE...inside my t-shirt, on my skin, all over the car and around the outside. Of course, Carla et al came running out, thinking I had hit another car. They were great. Jody and his father-in-law cleaned out the front and the window. I wasn't really hurt...just a teeny nick on my nose and arm. I was able to drive home (after picking up Mom) and the car now sits, plastic taped over the window, till I can call a repairman on Monday or Tuesday. I have to pay for it, too, as Florida insurance does not cover side windows. This isn't the first time this has happened, either. About 6 years ago was the first time....I thought a golf ball had hit and shattered the window. 2 - 3 years ago I was in a parking lot, got ready to go and the window exploded. My mechanic said there is a bend in the mechanism that might cause it. I have no idea. Alison and Gerry said I should sell the car but I just can't do the payments for a newby just yet. I was planning on waiting two more years. Plus...I LOVE my car!!! It's a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire, red convertible!

Last night we tried to go to the movies to see Munich...sold out (and we had gotten there 40 minutes prior to the start of the movie). Tonight,with Mom, we got there an hour before and...sold out! This movie is only being shown in one theater chain, of which there are 3 in S. Florida, and you cannot buy tix on line. Gerry wants to go tomorrow, after our holiday guests have left. I would have been happy to see Memoirs of a Geisha (which I heard was great and have every intention of seeing), but he had his mind set on Munich. So....we drove to Kilwin's and consoled ourselves with ice cream. Then we came home and I made homemade manicotti for tomorrow's dinner. I had about 6 or 7 crepes left over but no more ricotti cheese. I drove to Publix (our supermarket) and they were closed. I don't know why...it was only 9:52 PM - they close at 10. So what if it was Xmas eve...don't they know some of us are in need? They are open in the morning, so I guess I'll have to run over (after I open my gifts, of course) and get the cheese. Did you know that the 7/11 stores don't carry ricotta cheese?

Speaking of gifts...I did get to open one present tonight, from my puppies. They got me the DVD of Phantom of the Opera. Aren't they the best little doggies?

Well, better go to sleep so I can get up and open the rest of my gifts, and give Ger his. This Jewish girl just LOVES Xmas morning!!! ...one of the perks of being married to an Irishman!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home