Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Best Laid Plans...!!!!

Ok - my intentions were good. As I wrote yesterday, I ordered our Thanksgiving dinner from Publix. I really didn't want to "DO" Thanksgiving, but I knew how much it meant to Gerry to be home in time to celebrate. I was just so tired from the past several weeks, AND going to work these past few days, but....! It's NOT about me, is it? Well, after being up for baby feedings, I mean, giving out meds in the middle of the night, and not being able to get back to sleep right away, I got up EARLY and went to work. Busy day....had to write sub-plans and prepare for not being there three days next week (Kindergarten Conference), meeting with my team, running here and there, tutored two kids (separately) after school...I then drove toward home and went shopping and picked up my Thanksgiving pre-cooked dinner. When I looked in the box and saw the top of the packaged turkey breast, I asked the guy helping me, "Will this be enough for 7 people?" and he assured me it would, as there was no bone, just meat. I took his word for it, finished shopping and went home. When I unpacked everything, I was horrified. The supposedly 4 lb turkey breast was TINY!!!! Maybe enough to make a dinner for 3 or 4, but certainly not for 7. Oh, I have LOTS of side dishes, but still...how could I put this little thing out on the table. Gerry saw it and couldn't believe I got this instead of a whole turkey.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just look how small this looks next to my hand!!!!! OY VEY!!!!!

We had a few words and I went BACK to Publix - good thing, cause they had forgotten my cranberry-orange relish. I picked up a pre-cooked whole turkey, 11.25 lbs....much better. Of couse, I found the manager who helped me before and told him, in a nice way, how I felt. He said he was so sorry, and I could bring the turkey breast back and he would give me back the difference in price between the two dinner packages. I thought about it, and it amounted to $5.00...not worth a third trip back to the store. So I thanked him for the offer, wished him a happy holiday, and went back home with the new turkey. Gerry was much happier!!!



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The new turkey....much better looking, doncha think so?

By then we weren't even hungry so we had some soup and then I got to work.I made my pumpkin pie...mmm, the house smells so good....and decided to bake my apple pie in the morning....since there isn't room for it in the fridge anyway tonight.

Ahhhhhh - sleeping in tomorrow (till 8, I hope)....watching the Macy's parade on TV while baking my pie...that's my idea of a good morning. Company doesn't come till 2...ahhhh, once more!

Gerry is doing really well. Mom stayed with him while I worked today and they had a lovely day together. Tonight he's POOPED!!!! and already in bed, but I am on my way as I have had a very, very busy day.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day, one and all. I have a lot to be thankful for...I am sure you do too. Enjoy!!!




3 Comments:

  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger bethanie said…

    I'm so glad to hear that Gerry is doing better.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    How I miss Publix!! That was one little baby turkey breast. I'm so glad you had a nice day.

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    one more secret pal gift to come! just thought i'd let you know, since i'm probably not going to get it there by the deadline :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home