Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Monday, December 12, 2005

My Sincere Apologies

I feel SOOOO bad! I jsut read the blog written by Creative Genius and saw that I FORGOT to take a picture of myself dressed for today's weather in South Florida. But I swear I have a really good excuse. I went to school (work) with my camera, preparing to have someone take my picture. It was cold here this morning...58 degrees. I was wearing jeans, sneakers instead of my usual sandals, and a fleece jacket (over a long sleeved shirt). Being Monday morning, it gets a little nuts in a kindergarten class. I thought I would do the deed at lunchtime. Then it all hit the fan....Gerry called from home...Texas called! We were awaiting the call from MD Anderson Medical Center. They set up an appointment for him to see a melanoma oncologist there and find out what treatment they want him to have. SOOOO - while my students worked on a paperbag Santa puppet, I was on the phone (ssshhhh) with Gerry, Texas, Delta Airlines, Gerry and Texas again (all in 20 minutes). I was still on with the airlines when the clock showed that it was time for my class to be at lunch. I couldn't leave the phone (ever try getting back to where you were with who you were on with once you have hung up on an airline person?). I quickly called my coworker on his cell phone, and he ran out of lunch to get my class and bring them to lunch (did I ever tell you that I work with a fabulous team of teachers?). The rest of the day was busy, my room needed updating, putting in order, I tutored till 5:30....yada, yada, yada. Needless to say, the photo was forgotten. And tonight I have been on this computer for 4 hours and finally got cheap flights to Texas and a good price for rental car. Here's the sucky part of this trip....we fly into Houston on a Sunday, the night before Gerry's appointment (Monday). We have NO idea if we will be done on Monday, or any other day that week, so we had to book a stay through the following Saturday. Man, I will be PO'd if the dr. says on Monday...."Go home today and we'll see you in a few weeks!" and I will have missed the entire week of work (using up all my remaining sick days). Oh, well...guess we'll just have to make the best of a bad situation....see Houston!!! I have not been there in 18 years, since I went with Alison. Remember the fun we had, Al?

Tomorrow my class sees Santa. Boy - have times changed! We used to have toys donated by our corporate partners, and each child went home with a great present. Last year each child got a small book and a candy cane....I wonder if we'll get that much this year?

On a really sad note...I learned this morning that one of my former student's, now in third grade, was about to be told after school that her mom passed away this morning. I had not known that her mom has been in a coma for awhile. I felt horrible when I heard. Kimberly's mom was a lovely woman. She didn't speak English but we communicated fairly well, helped along by Kimberly's sister and Kimberly herself. I am heartbroken for this child and her sister, who is married and just had her first baby after numerous misses. So to repeat an often stated line....LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!!! Go out and live your life and make yourself happy!

To end on a HAPPY note....my best friend Rosemarie became a grandma today...first one. Her daugher Deona went to school with Alison from K - 4th grade, but we've always remained close. Baby Sienna Rose arrived by C-section two weeks early, weighed in at 5lb 14 oz and is 20 1/2 inches long. Mommy and Daddy are doing well, too, and Grandma and Grandpa are kvelling (busting their buttons)! Mazel Tov to my dear friends!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jody,
    I'm so glad that things are moving along with Gerry being seen in Texas. That is great news!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home