Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Vacations & Frustrations

Gerry and I went on a mini-vacation Sunday thru today (Tuesday). For $99, we went to Marco Island, which is on the west coast of Florida, about 2 1/2 hours from where we live in Delray Beach (east coast). For this price, we had to sit through a presentation re: a Vacation Club (yes, it is sort of a timeshare deal, but worked a little differently). We were not worried about being suckered into buying anything, as we already own a timeshare that we have trouble using. So we took advantage of the offer with no worries. The presentation was at/for Sunset Cove, a lovely new building with beautiful apts. I won't go into the whole thing, but it was nice. The young salesman was very sweet, definitely soft sell and having been told from the gitgo that we were not buying, he just spent the time going over any questions I happened to ask. It really was a decent experience.

Sunset CovePhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

For our $99 and the patience to sit through the presentation, we were given several perks: we stayed at the lovely

We were also given a voucher for either a Sunset Dinner Cruise (in the rain and wind - I don't think so!) or dinner at one of 3 restaurants for up to $100 (we chose a very casual, on the water (but indoors) seafood restaurant - Snook Inn, down the block from our Inn); and either championship golf for two or two GC's to a spa...again, too nasty for golf so I had a 1/2 hour massage yesterday and a lovely pedicure today. Not a bad deal, huh?

Tonight I picked up Mom and took her to my knitting group. Since I am off in the summer and go from home, it's a nice way for us to spend some time together, and she really enjoys the ladies there. Would you believe it, she is even getting the urge to knit. My mom doesn't have great eyes....the light bothers her and they often spasm shut, but she wants to give it a try. So I promised to get out my big needles and get her some nice yarn so she can just knit up a scarf in garter stitch! How cool is that!!! But tonight was otherwise frustrating...I got to the group and realized I only had a little yarn for my project, having forgotten the new skein at home. No matter...I also left the pattern in Gerry's car (the one we used for the trip home). So, I decided to begin the second broadripple sock to complete the set I was making for a coworker...and, I had lost one of the DPNs. Finally I decided to use 4 instead of 5, but because of all the chatting and helping each other, I kept losing my place in the pattern. FINALLY I did get to complete 6 rows before it was time to go home.

I did get a new book today - yes, another new book. I don't know if I am too thrilled with this one. I love patterns. This book, while ti's the way I like to knit - Knitting from the Top (by Barbara G. Walker) actually instructs you on HOW TO make various pieces knitting from the top. I prefer patterns that tell you how, not where I have to calculate the sizing and shaping for myself and then sort of design it myself as well, but I'll put the book away and when I am done making the projects I have planned I can pick it up and TRY!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


A quick congratulations to Susan of my knitting group. Susan lost her job in a bakery last week and was very upset. I told her that everything happens for a reason, and now we know what it is: tomorrow Susan starts work at Great Balls of Yarn, one of a group of yarn stores in South Florida. She will be in the Boca Raton store 3 days a week. She gets to touch all the yarn, help others with their projects, and be in the atmosphere that makes her happy....knitting!!! Best of luck, Susan!

Oh - I DID finish the pink baby sweater and gave it to my cousin Ann at her baby shower on Saturday....everyone loved it. I don't think Genia will be able to wear it for another two years or so...it came out so big, but she'll have something to look forward to. The shower was a huge success and Ann was just so happy. Now I am looking forward to Alison's baby shower in September. But even more exciting is next Monday, June 19th, when Alison and Michael, and then the rest of us, will find out if the baby is a boy or a girl. Of course, we all want a healthy, happy baby, but that aside, while I will love whatever it is, I truly think that I'll be making a pink sweater next!!




1 Comments:

  • At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We've been to Marco Island several times. An acquaintance of ours owns 2 houses & 1 small condo there that we rent. I love it there. Especially the houses since they have a private pool & it's all screened in of course!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home