Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A Survey for My Secret Pal 6

1. Are you a yarn snob? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I am only a teeny bit of a yarn snob. I prefer not to knit with Red Heart yarns but I do like some acrylic mixes such as those by Sidar. I like Lion Brand wools, cottons, homespun, and I do like Simply Soft by Caron. But I REALLY LOVE soft wools such as those sold by Knitpicks.com ...Peruvian Wool, etc.


2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I do crochet, but prefer a knitted garment. I like crocheting for blankets, hats and some ponchos. I don't spin and have no desire to do so.
3. Do you have any allergies?
No real allergies, but I don't like being around smoke.
4. How long have you been knitting?
I have been knitting since I was a young teenager (that was quite a long time ago), but never got into really interesting yarns and such until I taught my daughter to knit two years ago. She got hooked on it and brought me into a whole new world.


5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, I really don't. The only book I am waiting to get is Top Down For Toddlers, which so far I have only seen on Knitpicks.com...I'm just too cheap to get it at this time.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
For candles and bath products I like clean smelling scents. I like vanilla, coconut, some honey products. I don't like flowery or very sweet smelling scents. My favorite candle scent, though, is Sugar Cookie or Caramel - I know ....that's sweet!! But hey, everyone is entitled to an exception.


7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Hmm, not too bad. My favorite candy is DARK chocolate covered raspberry jelly rings, but I never buy them. I am always trying to "be good" so I avoid candy. Now and then I will eat a pack of those rainbow colored sweet/sour buttons, and as a RARE treat I will dare to eat a mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ( I LOVE peanut butter).
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Not many anymore. As I get "more mature" in years I find that I really just enjoy knitting and the occasional crocheted project.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s?
I like all kinds of music. I can only play MP3's on my computer. My car takes regular CD's. I like Streisand, Midler, Minelli, Broadway show tunes, Shania Twain, Faith Hill,  Shaggy, pop music, easy listening, soft jazz.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
I prefer black, white or beiges in my clothing, and of course, blue denim (I love jeans). My house is finally painted in colors - pale green in the living room, pale yellow in the bedroom, a deeper green in the kitchen, all trimmed with white, and all three colors in the bathroom. I do have some red items to wear, but I only wear them occasionally.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have been married to a wonderful man for over 2 years now. That's us last year:


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



We have three dogs � Maltese � named Tiemann, daschund Rusty and a shepard/chow named Cocktail.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com



12. What are your life dreams?
To be retired and have enough money to travel to interesting places.the Orient, Palau (to go diving), Australia, Europe, and of course, to see my children as often as they can stand having me there.



13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I like anything soft, and not TOO thin. I prefer DK or thicker, but don't mind Knitpicks Landscape or Sock Garden. I like Baby Alpaca, Merino, Simply Soft, and I really enjoyed working with Bamboo either from Southwest Trading Co or Crystal Palace...both worked up well.



14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Red Heart and the like! Cheap and/or scratchy fibers! Nothing too rough. I also don�t like the �fun furs� type of yarn as I am not into scarf knitting or anything that is foofy. Oh and again, nothing too thin!!
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I don't really have a knitting obsession. I do enjoy knitting baby sweaters. I like knitting with bamboo needles (I have collected most sizes) and circulars - just bought the Denise interchangeables. One day I would like to get a pair of Addi Turbos, as I hear they are terrific. I think I am eclectic in my knitting....if a pattern comes my way that I like and isn't too difficult (I am basically an intermediate knitter) then I will try it.



16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Baby sweaters are my favorite, and I really like knitting either top-down or sleeve to sleeve. The least amount of putting together is for me! I like to make sweaters but again, nothing overly intracate and it would have to be with soft yarn....nothing scratchy. I also enjoy knitting socks.
17. What are you knitting right now?
I am just finishing a baby sweater, will start on a textured shrug using Clea and Electra yarns, and have to start on a crocheted baby blanket. Then I have to make a sweater for my son-in-law's birthday.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I have not worn one since 1976, although I might make a couple for a friend's granddaughters, since I can knit them fast.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Both, depending on the project.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I hate straight plastics, I like my Denise interchangeables, really like the shorter bamboo, and as stated before, would like to own at least one pair of Addi Turbos.



21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yes. I don't like working on anything TOO thin, but I enjoy making socks. I like the Broadripple pattern and have used Knitpicks Sock Garden and Landscape yarns, both nice to work with. I plan to eventually make socks with intergrated beading from The Sock Journal by Catherine Wingate.



22. How did you learn to knit?
Not really sure. I know that I have been knitting since I was very young, so either my aunt or a neighbor taught me (my mom was NOT a knitter).
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I have an alpaca sweater that still needs the arms completed and a chenille sweater that just needs to be sewn...both are about 6 months old.



24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I love dogs...I have 3! Not a big fan of cats. I don't really have a favorite animated character.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Even though I am Jewish, I would have to say Christmas. I was brought up in a mixed home and so we celebrated with my dad's family, continued into my former marriage, and in my current life we have a real tree set up next to the menorah. We celebrate in a secular way, but it's really pretty.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really. I started collecting snow globes but have way too many (and people tend to give you just any old kind, not always what I would like). I used to buy recipe books but never used them. I am always "collecting" yarn, knitting notions, etc.  I guess the best thing I collect is....friends!



27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Family Circle Knitting and Creative Knitting.



28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
So far just Top Down For Toddlers on the Knitpicks.com site. As for reading books, I just read what others have suggested and pass on to me, and I do love getting audio books on CD from the library (I have a long ride to work each day)...I love biographies the best.



29. Any patterns you are coveting, but haven�t bought for one reason or another?
Nope.
30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
Soft socks of course. I usually wear sandals and only wear socks, white ankle socks, with my sneakers. So I wear knitted socks in the house when my feet get cold.  I wear an 7.5 ladies shoe. Ankle is  8�, foot (tip of big toe to heel)  is 9� long and 8� around, just under the ball of my foot.
31. What are your favorite foods?
AH....I do like food. I LOVE rice;  fruit - especially blueberries and strawberries; sushi; Italian and Chinese food; salads of almost any type.



32. What else can you tell us?
I try to watch what I eat, although I "cheat" here and there. I eat a mostly low fat, low carb diet. I do not drink soda....mostly water ( tap water is just fine). I like decaf coffee (mostly have it in restaurants), drink (loose) camomille tea every morning on my way to work. I love NY style cheesecake, though I can't remember the last time I had some. I watch very little TV (that's why TIVO is my friend) and I LOVE going to the movies and to Broadway musicals (they come to S. Florida often - we have a subscription). I scuba dive, enjoy riding bike riding in the evenings, belong to but hate the gym, except for the Latin Cardio  class - because I LOVE to dance. I am learning to play golf, too. I am a romantic person; I  cry over movies, books, the news.
I teach kindergarten, but I am not into reading professional books. I love the NY Yankees. I have lived here for 10 years but I am still a New Yorker from DA BRONX! I LOVE NY and the people there. I hate being cold, love sunshine,  my sandals, my convertible car (red, of course), and my family. I have a son; and two beautiful, wonderful daughters who each have a fabulous husband, and I am looking forward to being a grandma one day soon.



So to my Secret Pal....hope this gives you some insight into ME! If you need any more info, just ask. Or...you can write to my daughter at Alreillygator dot yahoo dot com and ask her....but don't believe any of the bad things she might divulge (lol).

1 Comments:

  • At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hooray! Thanks for all the great info. I'm a huge musical theater fan as well, and live close enough to NY to drive there once in awhile... should probably stop writing so that I don't give too much away :) now, as far as mail, would you prefer lots of smallish presents, or a couple of big ones?

    -your sp6!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home