Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

I am really excited - I have been working on my sockapalooza socks and it's not as hard as I thought it would be, working with such thin yarn and size 2 DP needles. The yarn is really neat as it is self-striping, something I never worked with before. I had a problem when starting the heel flap. I worked and frogged and worked and frogged - I just couldn't get it right. Finally I pulled out the sock pattern created by Becky in AZ. It calls for working with worsted weight yarn but I just adapted the way the pattern is worked and lo and behold - I got through the heel flap. I wish that I could put a pix of the work in progress here on my blog - have to wait till next weekend!

I found a place for my yarn stash - in a pretty basket in my bedroom (and another smaller basket on my desk shelf. I still am waiting for some chenille to arrive (ordered from England). Then I am swearing off purchasing any yarn until I work at LEAST another three projects and lesson the yarn pile.

I mentioned to my cousin's wife (from Tennasse) that I am a knitter and it opened a whole new relationship for us. Up till yesterday we would only correspond if it had something to do with a party or funeral in the family. Yesterday we had about 6 e-mails apiece b/t us (why we didn't just talk on the phone, I have no idea), and two more e-mails this morning. She told me the following story:

I like Brown Sheep for felting and for some ponchos, Love Manos, Noro, all the Berrocco yarns and LOVE Shaeffer. When we went to Santa Fe NM last summer I "made" Don take me up to Taos to LaLana (check them out on a website) which was fabulous. All their wool is locally harvested, dyed naturally and hand spun. I bought about 8 oz. and haven't used it. yet; it's too special. About 7 yrs. ago I went to a holistic, spiritual retreat off the coast of Canada/Vancouver on the island of Cortez. In their small gift shop I noticed some hand knit things that were produced by a gal living on the island. Getting directions to her home, I walked to her farm. After talking to her, she allowed me to "select" a sheep out in the herd and at the end of my week's stay she presented me with a bag of wool sheared off that sheep and spun for me! It's so special that I've used very little of it, saving it for the "perfect" thing. I may have to bite the bullet and knit it into a sleeveless vest. Earlier this year, I e-mailed her to get some more yarn off that same sheep. The sad news was that sheep are like people; they age and that sheep has turned grey, certainly not a match to the wool I have from her!! Isn't that a great story? Now SHE is a KNITTER!!!!!! I stand (ok, so I am sitting) in awe of her!! I will see her in May when we go to Georgia for her daughter's wedding. Can't wait to sit and knit with her (oh, come on now...you KNOW we'll find time for that!).

2 Comments:

  • At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now that's a "dyed in the wool" knitter if I ever heard of one!!!!!

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Neat story!
    I live very near Cortez Island (well two ferry rides, it's a day trip). I just might have to check out that spinner.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home