Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

SURPRISE - but not a good one!

As Charles Dickens wrote in A Tale of Two Cities, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." After the wonderful party, we were so tired. I laid on the couch for awhile, unwilling to do a thing. Gerry complained to me that Stuart, our tenant, had left the light on in the cottage (in our backyard that we rent to him) all Friday night into Saturday night and Gerry had a hard time sleeping (it shines right into our bedroom door). I went over and knocked but got no answer. I saw his cat, the A/C was on and his car in the driveway so I figured that he was sleeping in the bedroom. About an hour later I called but go no answer. Exhausted, I went into be around 9:45 PM. Gerry was about to come in too but the light was still bothering him so he went back to complain. He knocked - no answer. He walked around looking into the windows (most of the blinds were up) - no answer. So, as landlord, he got the key and went in - and found Stuart DEAD on the bathroom floor. He was fully dressed, curled up and...his face was black! Gerry came in and told me - well, THAT woke me up. We called the police immediately. They arrived soon after and went into the cottage. They told us that he had been dead for about 24 hours. The detective asked if Stuart was a black or white man - the blood had all settled in his face and caused him to look so dark (he was white). It was so sad. He was about 37 yrs old, a quiet, nice guy. He watched our dogs when we went away, put out the garbage for collection, even came over for Superbowl Sunday. But he had his issues, demons, whatever. It was concluded that he died of an accidental overdose ala Heath Ledger. His parents came the next day. I felt so bad for them but I think they may have been kind of waiting for this to happen. We talked, had a cry together, and then they left. They took a few small items and said the rest was ours to do with as we wanted. Gerry and I had talked it over and decided not to rent the cottage out anymore, for now (we had actually come to this decision awhile ago). We are going to fix it up a bit (new flooring, furniture, paint a bit) and have it available for family and friends who want to visit. Frankly, if/when Gerry becomes sicker, it will be great to have for those coming to visit.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gosh, definitely NOT a good surprise.

    I am sorry!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home