Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It Was Time!

After 9 1/2 years I had to let go of my "baby" - my 1998 Red Pontiac Sunfire Convertible. I had always wanted a convertible and finally got it. This car has been wonderful, but as with most mature cars, in recent years I have been putting money into it...a little here, a bit more there. The final thing that made me decide to give it up was when the back window in the top separated in the corners from the fabric, and as I drove down the Turnpike doing 70 in the pouring rain, there were showers INSIDE the car. The price to repair it was $900, which told me Yeah, its time! The sad thing is that even though it rides beautifully, people hear that it has 154,000 miles and don't want it (but in Florida that 's not a lot of miles since most of it is highway driving). So - not being able to sell it and finding out that to donate it would only give me a tax write off equal to whatever the charity auctions it off for (and not the "book" value), we took the easier, softer way - we gave it to our mechanic, Jimmy, who has always been good to us. So, goodbye my faithful friend. I will miss you. There will never be another like you for me!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    I cried when we sold my old car. Like yours, it was time for it to go. But it had seen me through single motherhood, trips to my parent's house and finally driving out to Arizona. I see it every once in awhile and get a huge kick out of it.

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know.....I ALMOST bought a green version of that car about 9.5 years ago! I ended up with a VW Cabrio instead but I always see that car and smile.

    Glad it went to a good home.

    Photos of the new car??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home