Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Proud to be a Mom and Grandma

Sorry I have not posted in over a week. I was gone from Wed until Monday for Avi's bris (circumcision). We (Gerry, Mom and I) drove to Ocala, spent the night at my daughter Becca's house, then with Beca added in we drove to Marietta, GA. We were there from Thursday through Sunday, drove back to Ocala, spent the night and then home on Monday. I have had lots of work to catch up on, but thought I would make an appearance here for a quick update.

The bris was amazing. You can read all about it here. My daugher Alison and her hubby Michael were so very gracious, and honored each of us with a role in the ceremony. I was given the choice of Sandak 1 or 2 (I think there is usually just one, but they wanted Michael's father and I to share the honor). Sandak 2 was to be the person to hold the baby's legs open when the deed would be done. I accepted that position...who better than Grandma to soothe an upset little boy. It wasn't so bad. I didn't look (too much) and spent the entire minute and a half cooing to Avi. He was quite the trooper (some Jewish wine helped immensely...the baby, not me!) and as soon as his diaper was replaced he stopped crying and drifted to sleep.


Now, I just have to do a slight bit of mom/new grandma bragging. I am so proud of my kids. Alison and Michael have a wonderful relationship. They are very good to each other, helping each other out, anticipating each other's needs. I can see that they are going to be terrific parents because they have great communication and will work together for Avi's benefit. Michael is soooo good with Avi, too. He is a champ at diapering, swaddling and calming. Alison is a very warm, loving mom. It makes me smile to watch their new little family take shape. And I can't say enough about my other daughter, Becca. She surprised Alison by attending the bris (she didn't think she'd be able to take off of work, but she got the time and came up with us). She was so helpful to Alison and Michael. She stayed with them, took the baby at night in-between feedings so A&M could get some sleep, and was invaluable in setting up for the bris.

I am so happy that my girls, who are 6 years apart, are getting closer and loving with each other. Now I have not forgotten Phil, Becca's husband, who I dearly love as well. He and Becca also have a wonderful life together, and he is nothing short of wonderful, too.

Had dinner with my son, Adam on Tuesday. He and I have re-established our wonderful relationship. I am so happy that he is working hard to reach any goals he makes for himself. Right now he is hoping to move back to NYC, as he misses the city and his friends. I hate to see him go, but I do understand his being homesick for NY, and it's not that far away anyway!

This weekend we head to Key Largo. It's NASCAR race weekend in Homestead, FL, and so we'll make a weekend of it. I have a lot of work to do for school. I'll take my work with me....yea, let's just hope I get to it - I'm SUCH a procrastinator (you get it from me, Alison).

2 Comments:

  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Moze said…

    Mazel tov again. Good call, not looking too closely while being sandak. My father did at my son's bris, nearly fainted, and swore never to be sandak again.

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Congrats Grandma.

    My Dad & his lovely wife love coming over and getting their "grandkid" fix.

    Sounds like a lovely visit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home