Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Good, The Bad, and the Proud

















Here is the Lion Brand Cotton Ease sweater set, compeleted. I just love the hat, and can't wait to see it on the baby.
Now I am working on an all in one knitted vest for my friend Carla's 2 year old son, Parker. I hope to make one for her baby, Caden...both as Xmas gifts.

This week "was the best of times, it was the worst of times." School officiall began (for staff) this past Tuesday, though I went into work on Monday to get a head start on putting my classroom in order. I had it all set up, when one of my teachers showed me her set up. I liked it so much, I rearranged my room in the same way. Tuesday started with the usual first day meeting, but it wasn't usual at all. I have worked at this school since 1995 (with the exception of the one year I taught up north). I have worked for a fabulous principal and support staff. She steered her staff into becoming a family, and together we brought our school from a "D" school to an "A" school, and again, an "A" this year. Two weeks before school ended, our illustrious superintendent, in his infinite wisdom, switched our principal with one who has been in charge of a "D" school for many years. Everyone was devastated (including the other principal). Nothing could be done, everyone was unhappy. To help her with the work to be done in the other school, my principal took our entire support staff and 4 or 5 teachers to help bring up the grades in that school. So this year's start was not a happy one. In all fairness, the new people have been very nice, but not too organized, and originally set about to make big changes. Our attitude...if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I can see the staff who left our school making big changes to where they are now, as that school just wasn't working!!! But we had the formula down pat, and now...! One change directly affected me. The new principal took away my ESOL (English Speakers of Other Languages) class which I have taught for all but my first year at this school (10 years) so I will have a regular kindergarten class....much more difficult students than ESOL. I heard (God forbid she should give me the courtesy of an explanation) that she wants bilingual teachers in those classes....actually, not the description of an ESOL teacher....you are definitely not expected to be bilingual). Anyway, didn't argue cause I don't want to be on her s**t list so early in the year. I have to be a professional and take it on the chin. I had learned a good deal of Spanish over the years to help me when giving directions, or speaking to non-English speaking parents, and had developed a good rapport with that community. Guess you can tell I'm not a happy camper. Luckily, I have lots of comrades in these feelings.

On the home front, all is well. On Friday night we went to the movies to see World Trade Center. It was pretty good, and showed another part of the tragedy, and the spunk of those who bravely went in to give help to the people trapped.

Congratulations to my daughter Becca. She has worked at Outback Steakhouse for a few years while going to school. She got her BA in May and has continued to work there. A few months back she was promoted to head server, trainer and closer. Once again she has gotten a promotion, this time to part time Front Manager, filling in as server on her other days. She would like to get into the managerial program. To quote her, "I had a foot in the door, now I have half of my body in." I am really proud of her! You go, girl!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Heather said…

    Ahhh...the joy of Florida public schools. I am SO glad my kids aren't in them anymore. I saw so many great teachers leave because of crap like this.

    I don't want to see WTC at all. Too soon, way too soon. And it bugs me people are profiting off it.

    Way to go, Becca!!

    Love the sweater and hat, too :) So cute!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home