Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Ever Dislike What You Made?

I FINALLY put the finishing touches on two baby sweaters that were sitting here, one longer than the other. This yellow sweater was made on my trip to Ohio. I really don't like it, but hated to frog it. It's made with Snuggly by Sirdar, a DK yarn of nylon and acrylic. It doesn't hold the shape, the pattern I used wasn't great, but....it's complete. So I added some buttons (didn't even put on on the top because my button hole is all but non-existent. I cannot give it to someone I love, however....all is not lost. There is a student from my school who is pregnant (and I teach in a pre-K to 5 school). She is barely 13! DON'T ASK!!!! Her socio-economic status is very low, as is her academic abilities, but....she is never-the-less, going to have a baby. My aide asked, since I know the girl, if I would contribute some baby things to help out. I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a few items. Today I got a baby bathtub from the Free Recycle group that I belong to. So...I decided that I will give this sweater too. I may not like it but the girl will LOVE it, and that's what counts!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I also completed the pink sweater that I made a few months ago using Bernat Softee Baby yarn. I love this little sweater. It's knitted top-down, which I love to do, with the hood added at the end.I had not made buttonholes so I crocheted loops instead, and sewed on little white teddy bear buttons. I am giving this to my dear friend's daughter who is expecting her first baby, a girl, around Xmas. Isn't it cute?


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


8 Comments:

  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Wow 13 and pregnant, I couldn't imagine. It's wonderful that you are able to help her out.

    The town I live in has a lot of young girls pregnant. I think it's because of the poverty level, and the fact that this town is so small and remote. It's very depressing.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Creative Genius? said…

    Freakin amazing.... (I had another F word in mind there but figured it was your blog so I'd be polite)... A 13 can get pregnant and STAY pregnant and a 29 (ish) year old can't..... where's the justice?!?

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    in 3rd grade we had a class mate who was pregnant. Wash D.C. city schools! that was 20 yrs ago! (she had been held back twice.

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Nik said…

    hi hon. are YOU the one who knows my secret pal? is she your daughter? or daughter in law?

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here!

    I have a brush coat dog king site. It pretty much covers ##Coats for Dogs## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I taught 4th grade 37 years ago I had a student who had been retained who ended up pregnant.
    I think it might be very special to this young girl at your school to have something handmade for her baby.It's very kind of you to put together some things for her.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow, 13, wow. I think it's nice of you to give the sweater, I'm sure it will be well received. I think both sweaters turned out well.

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for taking the time to put this site up. I've bookmarked it and will be back to spend some more time here.

    Check out my thanksgiving activity related site at http://holiday-stories-and-poetry.com.

    John

     

Post a Comment

<< Home