Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Shady Business

Mom, Jon, Becca, Phil, Gerry and I went into Manhattan today. I had wanted to go to China Town. When we got there the parking situation was dim. Jon dropped us off and drove around till he found a parking lot (and it wasn't cheap). We walked around Chinatown looking for a place to eat. Not knowing the area, nothing looked appealing. So we ventured to Mulberry Street in Little Italy. A guy standing outside of a restaurant, looking sort-of-kinda like Al Pacino, talked us into eating at the restaurant he was hawking. The food was good (although I have had better right here in Delray Beach) but we had fun. We ladies wanted to make a purchase, though...we wanted to buy 'designer' pocketbooks. We walked down the street a bit when my brother stopped at a shop and asked the owner. We were told to wait, he'd call "his guy." Within 3 minutes a man came up to us. He nodded, I nodded, he motioned for us to follow him, so we three ladies did so. I had to keep from laughing out loud. The "guy" walked ahead of us, constantly looking over his shoulder. We walked down the block, around the corner and across the street. When we got to our destination there were three people like us standing outside a doorway. The "guy" nodded at another woman. She looked around, bent down and opened a door lock. We were ushered in, walked between two buildings, into an open area, up three flights of stairs and into a tiny apartment kitchen, then shown to two rooms, where pocketbooks were hung on display pegs. They had designer names on them (of course, we all knew they are knock-offs). I really don't like wearing anyone's name on my clothing/accessories, but if I saw something for a good deal, I planned to get it. I did find two bags, Mom and Becca each found one. Good thing we had cash - I forgot: charge cards were not used in these "deals." Next, the fun part - the bargaining! I went back and forth for a bit with the "guy," who of course claimed that if he sold it to me for my price he wouldn't make any money....yea, right! Bottom line...I got each bag for a third of what he was asking! Then we back tracked out of there and back to Jon and Phil and we head ed back to CT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home