Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Ketchikan and Totems


We woke EARLY to find ourselves in Ketchikan, Alaska. It looked like what it once was - a small fishing town. The weather was pretty cool with overcast skies. We had a continental breakfast (brought to us by our … ahem….butler). Then we went onto the pier and met the tour to Saxman Native Village, about 3 miles away (by tour bus). The tour was ok - we saw a video about the Natives, then went to their meeting house for an authentic demonstration of their dancing/singing. When they asked for volunteers I joined a few others on stage. They put a cape on each of us and we just had to bend out knees, put both hands in front of us and sway. Afterward we were given a little tour of the totem poles. The young tour guide was very nice but a bit long winded and boring. Gerry did really well although he got bored and so walked to the store when I went to the Carving Shed. It was interesting to hear about making the totem poles. When the talk was over I went to the store with the thought of getting a totem pole - but OW! They were a little more than I wanted to spend. Truthfully, they WERE affordable but more than I cared to spend (because they were carved by hand). The poles for under $20 were made in China… nope, I wasn’t interested in those either.

When we got back to the ship we dropped our things in the room and went back into town (just across the street).
We did a little touristy shopping and then returned to the ship as Gerry was very tired. We went to the buffet for lunch but they were still serving breakfast so that’s what I had. It was good to return to the room and sit on the veranda for a bit. My cell phone was working so I made a few calls before my appointment for… a bit of “pampering.” I had booked a package that included: 30 minutes in the aroma steam room; back, neck and shoulder massage; spa re-hydrating aroma facial treatment; scalp massage with hair conditioning treatment; “tantalizing” foot and ankle massage full body application with skin nourishing milk lotion; and a “gift.” The gift would have been a moisturizer, but I opted to purchase a Cactus bristle skin brush to “detox, cleanse and improve texture and tone of the skin” and Celutox body solution, for which they give a discount on your package. It was SOOOO restful - just what I needed!

Beautiful snow capped mountains are going by outside our glass doors. We have now left Ketchikan and are sailing north to Juneau, the capitol of Alaska.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home