Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Paroled for Good Behavior

Gerry was released from the hospital today! YEA! He had a fever and headache until last night but today he was all better so they kicked him out. I don't have to tell you how happy he was - and me along with him. I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up the heparin that will be used to flush the catheter lines, and they give you A LOT!!! Then - we were outta there. An attendant came to get us with a big transport cart and wheeled Gerry and our things all the way to the elevator of our hotel (which is attached to the Medical Center by a skybridge). I was so tired that I slept for a few hours this afternoon. Tonight we had dinner in the hotel restaurant, The Oak Room, and then took a 5 minute walk outside. He gets tired so fast which is to be expected. I told Gerry that since I will be home we will walk every morning - even if it's 5 minutes to start - to help him build stamina. Tomorrow - happily - I can sleep and wake without an alarm. If he is up to it we will go to the movies. We leave on Tuesday afternoon. I know the airport will be a zoo since it is just before Thanksgiving, so we'll get there a bit early. I had to do a tough thing last night...I cancelled my flight to Atlanta. I was supposed to spend Thanksgiving with Alison, Michael and Avi but it got changed with this treatment. So Gerry and I plan to have a quiet day alone (Mom had made plans to go to her friend's for the day and I told her not to change it. We will see her Wednesday evening, as she leaves on Friday for a Mediterranean cruise and won't return till we are back in TX).

Cancer sucks: a couple who were friends of Gerry and his ex-wife Patti wrote to us. Tom was diagnosed with colon cancer and it has spread. I only met the wife, Donna, once, but once or twice a year we have written a hello to each other. I wrote to her in response to her e-mail and since then (yesterday) we have been corresponding. She is having a tough time with this...denial, anger,sadness. They are 51 and 55, married young, raised their boys and were looking forward to the fun part of life. Hmmmm....so were we, and we are still fairly newlyweds. This is so unfair and so sucks!!!! I take it for what it is and take it one day at a time. Right now, for me, I take the attitude of....Could be WORSE!! as I see others with cancer here at the medical center who look so sick, who are in wheelchairs, hooked to IVs as they walk around, and know that Gerry is going through so much but still not where they are, thank goodness. I know things will get bad one day...I don't have my head in the sand, that's for sure. But I am thankful that he can still go places, still get on a plane, maybe some more crusing in the near future,etc. And he is doing everything he can to live. Gerry's goal is to live long enough to see Avi get bigger and be able to teach him to play ball. I would love to see that too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home