Devine site

A little bit about my day, my family, and my knitting.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

What WAS I Thinking??

Last year my 2 daughters and their hubbies took part in the Disney 1/2 marathon in Orlando, FL. They all finished, even Becca who had not really trained but had persevered. About two months ago Becca called and asked if I would like to do the Princess 1/2 Marathon with her on March 8th in Orlando. I asked if she would train this time and she assured me that she would - she didn't want to end up with the severe blisters and pain as last time. So... I said YES! I bought REAL running sneakers at a runner's store - Running Wild in Fort Lauderdale. Let me tell you, there is a definite difference b/t these sneakers and regular sneakers. They are light, airy and FIT so well (the saleswoman took a lot of time fitting me). Mike, my son-in-law, told me that I should run 3 miles twice a week and do a longer run on Saturdays (once I was able to). I started running 3.7 miles each time (following the power walking route Gerry and I used to take). I ran 1 minute, walked for 2 minutes and was starting to build up my time. But Becca can't run and said she will walk fast - we have to do a pace of 4 miles in under an hour in order to finish in the qualifying time to get a medal. It gets so hot walking here and so I went into the gym last Tuesday and did 4 miles on the treadmill - pain the next day... OUCH!!! I couldn't go on Thursday and Saturday was hot, so I went this morning, knowing the temp would be cooler... it was - it was 61 degrees. I DID IT!!! I did 4 miles in 50 minutes and another two miles in 30 minutes - I did 6 miles! I am so happy (but I still think I am nuts for taking this on). Oh, the things we do for our children.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home